Ancient Mosaic Quiz
- What is this?
- a) a precusor of Galla Placidia’s Mausoleum in Ravenna?
- b) a detail of a leprosy victim?
- c) A leopard’s spots?
2. Big bushy beard, droopy eyebrows and a resigned expression after wearing a synthetic fibre costume for too long in the toy department; looks like Father Christmas, but is really which Roman god?
3. How many ancient versions are there of the Unswept Floor Mosaic?
4. Where would you find a rare Roman mosaic depiction of a giraffe?
5. Which series of ancient mosaics were saved at the last minute before flood waters engulfed them?
6. Name these three common mosaic patterns.
7. The mosaic panel below belongs to a series from Qasr Libya which also includes an image of one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Which one?
8. Where would you find the woman referred to as the Mona Lisa of ancient mosaics?
9. Here’s a horse wearing a stripey jumper. Where would you see a real ancient mosaic zebra being led by a black man?
10. Ships, grain merchants and possibly a man with a toothache – what do they have in common?
11. Not ketchup and not mayonnaise. What popular sauce is depicted in mosaic form in Pompeii?
12. An estimated 80 million pieces covering 250 square metres make up which imperial palace?
13. A cold bottom and a cool kiss. Which ancient mosaic does this refer to?
14. A resplendently naked Alexander the Great is rendered in pebbles in Pella, Greece, astride which wild beast a) a leopard b) a lion c) a cheetah?
15. There are lots of ancient mosaics of hunting dogs but where would you see one incorporated into an agricultural scene?
16. The Romans were keen on killing wild animals. Lions, tigers, boar, hare and bears are all commonly depicted in ancient mosaics but where would you see a pride of ostriches in the arena?
17. An unlikely pairing. A man believed to be Alexander the Great meets whom on the floor of an Israeli synagogue?
18. It’s well known that one wouldn’t want to cross the Gods, but which mosaic God is already cross eyed?
19.Which ancient city which was once thought to be the centre of the world is shown in Jordan’s map of Madaba?
20. Close ups. Can you identify these famous ancient mosaics from these details?
*Bonus point to finish the mosaic quiz*
Here’s a pear without a tree. FIND and identify an ancient mosaic which features a bird (perhaps even a partridge) next to (but not in) a pear tree but dont expect an answer!