Arrival of participants. Meet & Greet for the whole group. Short Introduction to the history of Ancient Greek and Roman mosaics and an overview of contemporary mosaics. Welcome Dinner at the hotel.
Getting started. Discussion of the commonly used approaches to mosaic making with an overview of mosaic tools, materials and techniques. A look at the principles of Roman mosaics and the fundamental skills needed to make a mosaic including cutting and laying tesserae, followed by making a practice piece applying these rules. All students finalise their main design and prepare their substrates. Students start work on a 25cm by 25cm mosaic on Jackoboard which is suitable for indoor or outdoor hanging. Afternoon: visit to one of Pelion’s remote and beautiful beaches and Byzantine mosaic relics.
Students continue with their own pieces with Helen’s support and direction.
Students continue with their own pieces with Helen’s support and direction. Afternoon: as before and a PowerPoint presentation on the art of Andamento – the visual flow of the mosaic.
Students work at different paces so those who are ready may already have started on their second or even third piece. The other methods covered during the week are the direct method on mesh and working in reverse on paper. Afternoon: As before and a PowerPoint presentation on Contemporary Mosaics.
Students continue with their own pieces. Those who are ready will seal and grout their main mosaics. Demonstration of how to grout. Demonstration of how to apply a mesh mosaic to a fixed surface using tile adhesive. Afternoon: Free time. Students may choose to visit one of the wonderful nearby beaches.
All students finish their main piece and/or their extra mosaics and prepare for an informal exhibition of the week’s work in the studio. Exhibition, group photo and farewell dinner.
Departure of participants, or a rest over the weekend*.
* There is a possibility to continue using the studio, tools and materials unsupervised over the weekend for a small extra charge. Please ask if you would like to stay for extra nights and/or make sure of the studio space
- Six days of tuition (four six-hour days and two half days of four hours) and transport for related excursions
- Coffee and tea throughout the day
- Time for rest and relaxation on the beach, by the pool or in the village square
- A full cooked breakfast, five three-course dinners and two lunches (half-board)
- Flights are NOT included, however there are direct flights to Volos Airport: from London Gatwick on
Wednesdays and Saturdays and from Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich, Duesseldorf and Vienna on some other days. (see www.volosairport.gr/en) Alternatively there are regular flights to Athens, Skiathos or Thessaloniki. Lagou Raxi can advise on the easiest/most economical transfers from your chosen airport and will help participants to share taxis if convenient.
FOR PRICES AND BOOKINGS PLEASE GO TO THE LAGOU RAXI WEBSITE: https://lagouraxi.com/classic-and-contemporary-mosaics-workshop/